Complete record of publicly available contact between Canberra and Beijing at the ministerial level and above since January 2020:
- 29 January 2020, Foreign Minister Wang Yi speaks via telephone with Minister for Foreign Affairs Marise Payne.
- 23 May 2022, Premier Li Keqiang sends a congratulatory message to newly elected Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.
- 11 June 2022, Minister for Defence Richard Marles meets Defence Minister Wei Fenghe on the side-lines of the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore.
- 8 July 2022, Minister for Foreign Affairs Penny Wong meets Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi at the conclusion of the G20 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in Bali. (The Chinese government’s readout of this meeting is available in Chinese and English.)
- Circa May-July 2022, Minister of Commerce Wang Wentao sends congratulatory letter to Minister for Trade and Tourism Don Farrell.
Select other notable examples of diplomatic contact between Canberra and Beijing below the ministerial level since January 2020 *:
- 14 June 2022, Paul Erickson, National Secretary of the Australian Labor Party, meets Xiao Qian, China’s Ambassador to Australia.
- 30 June 2022, Vice Foreign Minister Xie Feng meets Australian Ambassador to China Graham Hugh Fletcher.
* NB not a complete record of such engagement.